The Student Counselling Service at Carlow College, St Patrick’s is a free, professional and confidential service which is available to all registered undergraduate and postgraduate students. It adheres to a strict code of ethics and ethical practice as outlined by PCHEI, Psychological Counselling in Higher Education Ireland, and the Irish Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP).
The Student Counselling Service provide:
Compassionate and inclusive support for students on a one-to-one basis in a safe and confidential setting in dealing with any issues and challenges in their lives which may be impacting on their academic and/or personal health.
Professional one-to-one counselling in areas such as: abuse; anger management, anxiety; bereavement loss and transition; bullying; communication problems; conflict; depression; gender issues; relationship issues; self-confidence and esteem issues, stress management; trauma and other pain caused by life crises.
Workshops throughout the year on a variety of topics including;
- adjusting to college life,
- stress management,
- mindfulness, and
- mental health issues.
Provision of relevant information on self-help resources and literature.
|Monday||09:00am to 05:00pm|
|Tuesday||09:00am to 05:00pm|
|Wednesday||09:00am to 05:00pm|
|Thursday||09:00am to 05:00pm|
|Friday||09:00am to 05:00pm|
Out of hours/ Emergencies
Our services, including our phones and e-mail, operate from Monday to Friday (term-time only) between 9.00am -5.00pm. If urgent emotional support is required outside of these times, the following services should be contacted:
- For emergencies call 999 or 112 or Carlow Garda Station 059 9131505
- Learner’s own local GP service
- Caredoc out-of-hour service (6pm – 9am Monday to Friday / 24 Hours Saturday, Sunday and all Public Holidays) 0818 300 365 or 059 913 8100
- The Samaritans Free 24/7 Listening Service 116123
- Pieta House – Free 24/7 Helpline – 1800 247 247
- Text ‘CCSP’ to 50808. An anonymous, free, text support service available 24/7, 365 days a year
Students can make their appointments with the Counselling service directly by:
- Phone at 059 9153225 or by mobile at 085 7564441 (9am-5pm)
- Email: email@example.com
Self-referrals are welcomed and encouraged.