Fees & Grants

Here you will find all information about fees & grants for students wishing to study full-time or part-time. 

Department of Education Free Fees Initiative

In order to avail of the Department of Education & Skills Free Fees Initiative, you must also meet one of the following criteria: 

  • Be a citizen of an EEA member state (see above) or Switzerland. 
  • Have official refugee status in Ireland. 
  • Be a family member of a refugee and have been granted permission to live in the State. 
  • Be a family member of an EU national and have permission to live in the State, with a stamp’ 4EUFAM’ on your residence card. 
  • Have been granted Humanitarian leave to remain in the State. 
  • Have been granted permission to remain in the State by the Minister for Justice and Equality. 


You must also fulfill all of the following three course requirements: 

  1. You must be undertaking a full-time undergraduate course of at least two years duration (or certain shorter courses in Institutes of Technology). 
  2. You must be a first-time full-time undergraduate or five years must have lapsed since you were last in college and you must not have completed a previous degree. 
  3. In general, you must not be repeating the year because of failing your exams or changing course. This may be waived if you repeat a year due to serious certified illness. There are also some exceptions for students in Institutes of Technologies who are switching course. 


Please note: the BA (Hons) in Psychology is not covered under the Free Fees Initiative.

Grants & Funding

SUSI Grants

Students can make a grant application online to Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI). 

Student grants provide financial support to eligible students. There are two elements to the student grant-a maintenance grant and a fees grant. A maintenance grant is a contribution towards your living costs etc. 

A fee grant can cover: 

  • All or part of the Tuition Fee (if needed) 
  • All or part of the Student Contribution Fee 
  • Costs of essential field trips (if needed) 

If you have qualified for a maintenance grant, you will generally qualify for a fees grant. You must complete a Student Grant Application Form to assess your eligibility. Student grants are ‘means tested’. There are different levels of Higher Education Grant (HEG) support. Applicants must be entering an approved full-time course in an approved institution in addition to meeting the necessary residency and nationality or immigration status requirements. 

Back to Education Allowance 

Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) is a scheme for unemployed people, lone parents and people with disabilities who are getting certain payments from the Department of Social Protection. The allowance can be paid to people who wish to take up a third level course. 

BTEA is not unemployment payment. Participants get a standard rate of payment which is not means tested. If you are signing for unemployment credits or submitting medical certificates for illness credits, you may apply to take part in the scheme. However, the BTEA is not payable if the student is in receipt of either the Higher Education Grant (SUSI/Local Authority) or VEC scheme. 


Please note that the above information is always subject to change. For further information please visit: www.studentfinance.ie

Withdrawal/Deferral Fees

Withdrawal/ Deferral Fees

If you are withdrawing or deferring from a programme, you must notify the Admissions Office at: E: admissionscc@carlowcollege.ie T: +353 59 9153243 immediately. You must also notify any grant awarding body if you hold a grant for that academic year. It is essential that you do not draw down any grant cheque if you have withdrawn or deferred, as if you proceed to another course, your Higher Education Grant will not be awarded twice. 

Where an application by a registered student to withdraw from a Programme is approved by the Registrar/Admissions Office, the Accounts Office will reimburse the appropriate registration fee to the learner subject to the following scale: 

Official Date of Withdrawal Amount of Registration Fee Forfeited
Before 31st of October €250 (basic administrative charge)
1st November – 31st of December €500
Up to January 31st €1000
After January 31st Full registration Fee

If you defer, and have received a grant, you must notify the awarding body immediately (see above). If you have paid the registration fee you may opt to either:  

  • Be reimbursed fully and pay the registration fee in full when you return the following year; or  
  • leave the money on hold in your Carlow College account and use it to cover the registration fee the following year. If there is any increase in the registration fee from the year of deferral to the year of resuming study, you will be liable.