Advanced Entry Applicants
Advanced Entry is where an applicant has previous educational achievements that are considered directly relevant to the programme they wish to apply for. Our advanced entry process allows applicants to apply for entry to full time courses at a year other than 1st year. This process provides direct entry to the College and is not processed through the CAO.
All advanced entry applications are considered by the College on a case by case basis.
QQI-FET applicants (or equivalent) who already hold third-level educational qualifications or who have successfully completed part of a programme at a recognised Higher Education Institution may apply for entry onto the second or subsequent year of the following undergraduate degree programmes:
This applies where an applicant has gained a full Level 6 award (120 credits) in a programme directly relevant to the Carlow College programme they wish to apply for. For application forms and other details, see ‘How to Apply’ section below. Such applicants may transfer into the second, third or in some cases, the fourth year of a degree programme at Carlow College where it can be shown that the appropriate learning outcomes have already been achieved by the applicant.
For further information in relation to advanced entry for the programme of your choice, please contact our Admissions Office.
- Applicants for advanced entry to year 2 of our programmes must have completed and achieved a minimum Pass in a full Level 6 award (120 ECTS credits) in a relevant area.
- Applicants apply via the College’s Recognition of Prior Learning application forms.
- All applicants must be interviewed to assess their suitability for advanced entry to the programme.
- Where an applicant is applying for advanced entry to a Programme leading to a degree recognized by an External Professional Regulator, they must provide evidence that they are in a position to meet the requirements of the relevant professional regulator within the context of the programme for which they are applying.
- The interview panel will make a recommendation to the Registrar, who, in consultation with the Admissions Office, will make the final decision on the application.
- The Admissions Office will inform the applicant of the result of the process.
Applications for advanced entry for 2023/24 are now open.
Applications for advanced entry onto an undergraduate degree with Carlow College are made via the Recognition of Prior Learning process.
Each year the application process is as follows:
- Complete the online Recognition of Prior Learning Application Form
- If applying for PC404 BA in Applied Social Studies (Professional Social Care), please use apply via the Recognition of Prior Learning Application Form: PC404
- Applicants may be contacted by the College and called for interview.
- Applicants who are successful at interview and/or satisfy the outlined requirements needed for entry for the programme, may receive an offer at any stage in the application process. All decisions on admissions are made by the Admissions Office.
Applications for advanced entry close on Friday, 30th June 2023.