Spend 4 weeks in Ireland
Start your Summer with an exciting four-week study program in Ireland, that is offered to students from our partner universities in the US. This program is ideal for students who want a short introduction to a new culture that they can do during the summer period, or for students who cannot avail of the semester study abroad program.
Study Irish literature, history and culture
Students on the Summer program will enroll in the Irish Experience course and the Irish Literature course earning 6 semester credits.
- Irish Experience: provides students with an introduction tot he history, culture and people of Ireland
- Irish Literature: introduces students to the great literary tradition of Ireland by exploring literary construction of Irish identity and nationhood from the 19th century
It is a great way to see a different part of the world, discover a new culture and spark academic interests.
See the real Ireland for yourself
Be immersed in Irish culture, gain first-hand experience and make lifelong friends. The program also allows plenty of time for independent travel and exploration, so you can see the real Ireland for yourself.
“I did things I never through I would have done. I became a part of a whole new culture and a family. I wouldn’t trade anything in the world for this experience” – Morgan Shannon, Study Abroad Alumna
The next summer program runs from May 31 – June 28, 2022
For more information, contact Dr Eric A. Derr in the International Office: email@example.com.
Carlow, Ireland, affectionately known as Carlow-town, is a bustling Irish country town. With a population of 25,000, Carlow is home to two colleges including Carlow College. The town is known for it’s great night life, has many fascinating cultural sites to explore, as well as VISUAL on the grounds of Carlow College, and the town is very well located. There is a train station just 5 minutes walk from the college, with trains to Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny and Waterford passing through regularly. There is also a bus station with many more routes to travel throughout the country. Dublin is about an hour away and is easily accessible by both train and bus.
The cost of housing is included in the program fee. Housing is provided at Lennon House, a residence hall on the college campus. Residing at Lennon House is a requirement of the program. Each student will have a private bedroom and will share living space, kitchen, and bathroom with two or three other students. WiFi is available in the residence hall and is included in the fee. Laundry facilities are located on the premises. Bed and bath linens are provided.
Meals are not included in the program fee but there are fully functioning kitchens available for student use. Students are expected to cook or provide meals for themselves. Many students enjoy group dinners in the common area in Lennon House. Additionally, a nice selection of grocery stores and eating establishments are located within walking distance of the College.
Applicants for the Summer 2022 Program at Carlow College must:
- be 18 years of age or older as of the program start date;
- have completed at least twelve credit hours at their home institution by the time they commence their studies at Carlow College;
- have obtained a cumulative mark of at least 2.5 out of a 4.0 at their home institution;
- have obtained a grade of B or higher in a written composition course completed at a third-level institution (e.g. post-secondary institution);
- be a learner in good standing at their home institution; provide proof of health insurance;
- be in possession of a valid passport.
Passport and Visa Requirements
Students will need to acquire, or have acquired, a current passport before departure. Applicants should allow at least eight weeks for standard passport processing in the U.S. An application form and passport information can be obtained at your local post office or at travel.state.gov. Passports must be valid for six months after the program ends. A visa is not necessary for the summer program for U.S. citizens.
*Students interested in this program should fill out the Summer Study Abroad Application Form and the form should be processed through the international office of your home institution.
Students in this program will enroll in the Irish Experience course and the Irish Literature course earning 6 semester credits. The Irish Experience course provides students with an introduction to the history, culture and people of Ireland. The Irish Literature course will introduce students to the great literary tradition of Ireland by exploring literary construction of Irish identity and nationhood from the 19th century. Both courses include field trips and a forum for inquiry into exploring Ireland.
Field Trips are the foundation of The Irish Experience Program. The summer program includes several unique trips such as:
Carlow & Wexford
- New Ross (Dunbrody Famine Ship)
- St Mullins
- Mount Leinster
- Brownshill Dolmen
- Kilkenny Castle
- St. Canice’s Cathedral (Round Tower)
- St. Francis Brewery
Wicklow & Kildare
- Moone High Cross
- Glendalough Heritage Centre and National Park Avoca
Wild Atlantic Way
- Cliffs of Moher
- The Burren
Belfast City & the Northern Coast
- Political Murals Tour
- The Titanic Experience
- The Giant’s Causeway
- Bushmills Distillery
- Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge
*Please note that, in some circumstances, field trip itinerary may be subject to change.
The cost to participate in the program for Summer 2022 is €2,845. A non-refundable booking deposit of €500, taken off the total program cost, is due with the completed application form by February 15, 2022. The balance of the fee is due April 27, 2022. In the unlikely event that the program is unable to run, a full refund is provided (including the booking fee). Please note that applications received after the final deadline will not be considered.
Fees and payments can be made through the Carlow College website: https://carlowcollege.ie/Payments-Section.
The following are included in the program fee:
- program tuition;
- accommodation (including bed linen and WiFi);
- four day-long field trips (includes: admission to all field trip sites; private bus and guides);
- one overnight field trip (includes: admission to all field trip sites; accommodation; private bus and guides);
- on-site program direction; and
- airport collection/drop-off.
The following are not included in the program fee:
- round-trip airfare from the United States;
- Passport fee;
- visa fees from non-US citizens (if applicable);
- personal travel & expenses;
- books/classroom material; and
- health insurance.