Carlow College Health Service is Nurse-led and available to all registered students throughout the academic year. This free service is provided as a term time addition rather than a replacement for the student’s own GP and is intended to provide acute care during the week when it is not possible for students to attend their own Medical Practice.
The service provides treatment and referrals to community services, and promotes positive well-being through advice, information and health promotion. The College Nurse, Maura Hennessy is available for the assessment, treatment and management of students’ health needs during the term and for the management of any illness or condition that requires special attention during college hours. Our Nurse is supported by our off-campus GP service, led by Dr Gerald Moran, in their Tullow Street surgery which is located near the college.
All students are advised to register with the Health service as soon as they have completed their college registration process and have been given their student identity card.
|09:00am to 03:30pm|
|Tuesday||09:00am to 03:30pm|
|Wednesday||09:00am to 03:30pm|
|Thursday||09:00am to 03:30pm|
To make an appointment:
- Call: 059 9153237 / 087 1608203
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not call to the Nurse’s office without an appointment.
During COVID-19 the following restrictions are in place:
- Strictly no walk-ins.Students must contact the Nurse to make an appointment with our Nurse or GP service.
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19, do not attend college. Stay at home, self-isolate and contact your GP or Out of Hours GP (evenings and weekends) who will arrange for COVID-19 testing. Symptoms of COVID-19 include Fever; Cough; Shortness of breath; Loss or change to sense of smell or taste.
- Students must complete a registration card to use the Health Service. Please register with the Nurse via the online link that you receive at the beginning of term, or at any time during your studies by contacting the Nurse directly.
- Doctor Appointments are booked by phoning the Nurse on 059 9153237 / 087 1608203
- Only attend at the allocated time
- Wear a face covering and sanitise/wash your hands on arriving and leaving the Nurse’s office.
- Maintain a 2 metre social distance.
- Nurse’s Availability: Monday-Thursday 09.00-3.30
- Doctor’s Availability: by appointment only
- Doctor’s appointments are booked by phoning the Nurse on 059 9153237 / 087 1608203. Appointments cannot be booked by email.
- Doctor Appointment Fee for our students is at a subsidised rate of €30, (some appointments might be more). The college pays the balance of the fee.
- Doctor Appointments are free for out-of-town GMS Medical Card, GP visit and Erasmus EHIC card holders
- Carlow town GMS patients are requested to contact their own GP in town
- No Charge to visit the Nurse
- Students must be registered (online) before contacting the Medical Centre
- Restrictions apply at the Medical Centre during Covid-19
Out of Hours Doctors in Carlow Town (CareDoc)
- Telephone: 1850 334 999 or 059 913 8100
- By appointment only during opening hours
- Weekdays Monday-Thursday 6pm – 8am
- Weekends: Friday 6pm – 8am Monday (24-hour service)
- Medical Card, GP Visit and EU/ Erasmus EHIC cards accepted
- Private Patients will incur a Fee
Emergencies: Call 999 or 112
Nearest A&E / Emergency Department:
St Luke’s Hospital in Kilkenny
Phone: (056) 778 5000
Absolute confidentiality is maintained at the student health service. All medical records are retained and do not form part of your Student Records. Information is only given to third parties with the patient’s consent.