Orientation and Induction
Helping you to settle, stay and succeed at Carlow College!
Every September we welcome our first year undergraduate students for the first time and we welcome back our returning students during Orientation and Induction week.
The purpose of our induction for first year students is to try to make them comfortable and at ease in their first few weeks at college. We aim to get students to know one another and to begin to understand some of the methods we use to enable student to learn while here and the academic, IT and pastoral supports available to help along the way.
Our returning students in years two, three and four of their programme attend a re-orientation day in the week prior to the commencement of programme lectures. Each academic stage brings a different set of rules, regulations, skills and expectations. Re-orientation takes place at the start of each new academic year and its purpose is to engage with students as they progress through their academic programme. We will be hosting several campus tours, and a meet up with the Student Union for the timetable click here. We also have some online resources to help you settle back, to view the timetable click here.
Our induction and orientation schedules have been compiled with a view to ensuring that our students are well equipped with the information needed to begin their studies and to ensure a good start to a successful college year.
Orientation Schedules 2021
Re-orientation provides an opportunity to inform learners of any institutional changes that have taken place and set out expectations for the new academic level. It also reminds learners of the academic and personal supports available and allows learners to reflect on the supports they may need in order to successfully progress.
The re-orientation day consists of the following:
- Welcome back academic orientation and programme induction by Programme Director and Academic Advisor.
- Completion of the registration process and opportunities to resolve administrative queries.
- Opportunities for learners to socialise with their class group and learners in advanced stages of their chosen programme.
- Information Technology sessions to re-familiarise learners with college IT systems and any changes that have been introduced.
- Careers and employability workshop to support their programme level.
- Opportunities to engage with student support services.
Learners are provided with details of further academic and social induction activities scheduled to take place during semester one.