UPDATED 26TH JANUARY 2021
Carlow College is committed to looking after the health, well-being and academic development of all our continuing students. We have prepared the below FAQs to update you on our plans. Please remember that we may be required to change these plans in response to HSE and/or government guidelines. We promise that we will communicate any changes to you as a matter of priority.
Information to continuing students on the delivery of academic programmes in Semester 2
How will my classes be delivered in Semester 2?
All lectures and tutorials will be delivered online using the MSTeams platform supported by the Moodle virtual learning platform. If you have any problems accessing your classes please contact IT Support at firstname.lastname@example.org
What about Assessment?
All continuous assessment will be submitted through links on the relevant module Moodle pages. Feedback will be delivered here as well. Semester 2 exams in May and August repeat exams will be online, 24-hour take-home exams.
Will my learning outcomes be met?
Programme Directors and lecturers are taking steps to ensure that learning outcomes will be met. Students taking practical modules should be reassured that we are exploring all options to ensure that learning outcomes and proficiencies are met.
Will I be able to complete my placement?
This is a challenging time for students who are due to go out on placement. The College is committed to supporting you and is actively seeking clarification from professional bodies. The Programme Director and Placement Coordinator will keep you updated on the situation.
Will I have any access to the College building?
At the moment access to the building is very restricted and limited to essential staff only. Students may use the Library’s Click and Collect system to borrow books (see below). We are in an evolving situation and will update you if there are changes to this.
Will I have any opportunities to meet my classmates and lecturers face-to-face?
If the public health situation improves and it becomes possible to bring you into the College, we will try to organise some events later in Semester 2. These will be optional and be focussed on offering opportunities for social interaction between students themselves and between staff and students.
Where can I find information on my programme?
- Each programme has a dedicated space on the Moodle VLE where you can find the student handbooks, Moodle Enrolment codes for Semester 2, Assessment schedules, Support Contact information and Elective details (where applicable). assessment schedules and other useful advice. Any updates related to online learning will also be updated on your Moodle Programme Page.
- If you have additional or specific queries you should contact your Programme Director or Academic Advisor.
- Module specific questions should be directed to the relevant lecturer in the first instance.
If I cannot attend a class or submit an assignment who do I contact?
You should follow the normal Absence from Class and Extension Request procedures. Forms can be accessed on the Programme Moodle pages and emailed to your Academic Advisor. We are aware of the additional difficulties our students are facing during the pandemic and lockdown and will do everything we can to support you in your studies.
Will Student Services be available?
- We will continue to deliver all student support services in a way that ensures the safety of staff and students.
- Our Counsellors, Careers Officer, Chaplain, Nurse, Essay Doctor, Learning Support and Disability services can be contacted by phone, email and live chat through MS Teams. Further information is available in your Programme Handbook located on your programme Moodle page.
- The Learner Information and Retention Officer (LIRO) is also available to answer queries and give advice – Email LIRO@carlowcollege.ie
I am feeling upset and worried. What can I do?
- The College Counselling Service is available to all students free of charge. Students seeking help, advice or just a friendly chat can contact Bernie or Martina directly on 059 9153225 / 085 7564441 or email email@example.com. Appointments are available via live chat on MS Teams or by phone, 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday during term-time.
- Liam, our College Chaplain is available Tuesday to Thursday, 9am – 5pm, during term-time to speak with students via live chat on MS Teams, phone or email. He can be contacted directly on 059 9153245 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Chaplaincy Moodle page also has a wide range of additional resources which may be useful.
Can I access Library services and collections remotely?
- Staff assistance is available to students during our normal working hours via our live chat, email and phone.
- All of the Library’s online resources can be accessed remotely. For more information contact the Library Desk, email: email@example.com or check the Library webpage.
Can I borrow books from the Library?
The library is operating a click and collect service. Student may collect reserved items and/or use the library printing facilities at the following times:
- To reserve a book via Click and Collect you must:
- Log on to your Library Account via your student ID. This can be accessed from the Library web page by clicking on ‘Library Catalogue’.
- Check the Library Catalogue to see if the book you want is available.
- If the item book you want is available, click ‘Reserve’ to request the item.
- Library Staff will retrieve the titles you reserved and issue them to your account.
- Items will be available for collection at the times listed above
Students are asked to email the library desk firstname.lastname@example.org ahead of the time of their arrival.
Once again we remind you that we may be required to change these plans in response to HSE and/or government guidelines.